Saturday, January 21, 2006

Patrick Devery - Last Day in Sri Lanka

Our last day in Sri Lanka has been a sad one. My girlfriend, Melissa and I visited her cooperating teacher, Sennani. We were picked up by her and took a tri-shaw to her home. I believe I can speak for Melissa when I say that it was a truly touching, yet a little uncomfortable. But after we spent several hours at her home we became comfortable. Her families home was not a posh American home. It was one level with one bathroom, one bed where the entire family slept, and a kitchen that had many flies buzzing around. I had culture shock really for the first time because our group has been pent up in hotels and western places the entire time we were here.

We have only seen glimpses of what Sri Lankan home life is like. Her family was great. Her husband was a cordial man who asked plenty of questiuons regarding America. Her children where cute little kids. One 12 year old boy, and two 8 and 4 year old girls. They loved Melissa and I. We played soccer or futbol in their dirt yard in front of the house. They fed us more than enough food. Breakfast and lunch Sri Lankan style.

Leaving them was depressing. The ride home Melissa and I could not get the images of her home and the family out our minds. It was a memorable experience. Melissa and I will be keeping in touch with the family. I hope that this relationship can blossom into something special.

1 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow mr.Devery!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home